The Day I Stopped Letting Overthinking Control My Life


The Day I Stopped Letting Overthinking Control My Life

A couple of years ago, there was a time when my mind felt like it had 50 tabs open.

I'm sure you've experienced this too.

A conversation from yesterday that kept replaying in my head.

A decision I needed to make.

A presentation I was preparing for.

A message I wasn't sure how to respond to.

And a hundred "what ifs" that never actually happened.

From the outside, everything looked fine. I was working, learning, teaching, writing and moving from one responsibility to another. But inside, my mind was constantly processing, analysing and second-guessing.

I believed that overthinking meant I was being responsible. That if I analysed every possibility, I would avoid making mistakes.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Overthinking rarely gives us better answers.

Most of the time, it simply drains our energy, steals our confidence and keeps us stuck in a loop of imagined problems.

One day, I realised that something had to change.

I couldn't control every situation life threw at me, but I could control how I responded to it.

So I consciously decided to create a few simple reminders—little anchors that I could come back to whenever my thoughts started running faster than reality.

These weren't life-changing overnight. They were small practices that slowly became habits.

1. I asked myself, "Will this matter three months from now?"

This became my reality check.

Whenever something upset me or consumed my thoughts, I paused and asked myself this simple question.

If it wasn't going to matter three months later, why was I allowing it to occupy my mind for three hours, three days or even three weeks?

That single question helped me separate what was truly important from what was merely urgent.

2. I created a 10-minute "worry window"

Instead of pretending I wasn't worried, I gave myself permission to worry—but with boundaries.

I would set aside ten minutes to think through the issue.

Once those ten minutes were over, I consciously shifted my attention back to what I could actually do.

Surprisingly, most problems felt much smaller once I stopped feeding them unlimited time.

3. I wrote my thoughts down

Our minds are wonderful for creating ideas.

They are terrible at storing endless thoughts.

The moment I began journaling, making lists or simply writing down what was bothering me, my mind became quieter.

Thoughts that felt overwhelming inside my head looked much more manageable on paper.

Writing became therapy.

4. I focused on facts instead of assumptions

Overthinking has a habit of creating stories.

"They must be upset with me."

"I'll probably fail."

"What if everything goes wrong?"

Whenever I caught myself assuming the worst, I would ask,

"What evidence do I actually have?"

Most of the time, I realised I was reacting to fear—not facts.

That one question brought me back to reality.

5. I took one small action

Nothing breaks overthinking faster than movement.

Not giant leaps.

Just one small action.

Reply to the email.

Prepare one slide.

Make one phone call.

Read one page.

Once I started moving, clarity usually followed.

Action replaced anxiety.

6. I stopped chasing perfect decisions

Perfection is exhausting.

For years I believed there was always one perfect decision waiting to be discovered.

Life taught me otherwise.

Most decisions become right because of the effort we put into them—not because they were perfect from the beginning.

Done is often far better than perfect.

7. I moved my body for ten minutes

Whenever my thoughts became noisy, I moved.

Sometimes it was a short walk.

Sometimes a few stretches.

Sometimes simply stepping away from my laptop.

Movement shifted my state of mind faster than another hour of thinking ever could.

The body has an incredible way of calming the mind.

8. I ended every day with gratitude

Before sleeping, I wrote down three good things that happened that day.

Some days they were big wins.

Other days they were as simple as sharing a laugh, finishing a task or enjoying a peaceful cup of tea.

This tiny habit slowly trained my mind to notice what was going right instead of obsessing over what could go wrong.

It reminded me that not every thought deserved my attention.

Change Didn't Happen Overnight

Like Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was a calmer mind.

There were days when I slipped back into old patterns.

There were moments when anxiety still whispered louder than logic.

But each time, these eight reminders brought me back.

Little by little, they changed the way I thought.

Today, I don't claim that I never overthink.

I'm human.

The difference is that overthinking no longer controls my life.

I recognise it.

I pause.

I choose a different response.

And that has made all the difference.

These small habits have helped me worry less, act more, make better decisions and protect my peace.

If you're reading this while carrying a mind full of "what ifs", remember this:

You don't need to solve your entire life today.

Just take the next small step.

Sometimes peace isn't found by thinking more.

It's found by thinking differently.

Which of these eight practices resonates with you the most? Or do you have a strategy that helps you quiet an overthinking mind? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

#EmotionalIntelligence #PersonalGrowth #Mindset #Productivity #MentalWellbeing #GETSETGO

Comments